The Foundation Phase: 3 - 7 years
The Foundation Phase is a big and very exciting challenge. It requires that we take a new look at children's learning and at their play. We need to see our own role as adults differently - moving from the old concepts of "teaching" and "teachers" to new ideas about enabling, promoting, observing.
The School of Early Childhood has been involved in the The Foundation Phase for many years. Siân Wyn Siencyn, the Head of School, was a member of the Welsh Assembly Government's Ministerial Group that first developed the idea and, as a School, we have been very much involved in training.
The School of Early Childhood offers a range of programmes at all levels to help you face the challenge with confidence:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Foundation Phase (Level 7)
This qualification can lead on to the MA Early Years Education
- Certificate of Higher Education in Foundation Phase (Level 4)
This qualification can lead on to the BA Early Years Education
- Certificate of Higher Education in Welsh and Bilingual Practice in the Early Years (Level 4)
Short courses (1 or 2 days)
- Understanding play and planning for play
- Observing and recording learning through play
- Outdoor play (wellies essential!)
- Welsh and bilingualism in the Foundation Phase
- Creativity outdoors (wellies again essential!)
- Early thinking skills: the young child as creative thinker
- Chatting, listening, understanding: promoting communication in the early years
We offer these short course on campus or we can come to you.
To discuss your Foundation Phase training needs further, please contact email@example.com
Parental permission has been granted for all images of children used on this web site.