BA, MA, PhD (University of Edinburgh)
School of Theology, Religious Studies and Islamic Studies
Tel: 01570 424 866 (4866)
Sheikh Khalifa Building
Professor in Biblical Studies
Role in the University
- BA (University College, Dublin)
- MA (University College, Dublin)
- PhD (University of Edinburgh)
Areas of Responsibility:
- Director of the Research Centre, The Bible and the Visual Imagination
- Director of the AHRC funded project, Interpreting the Bible and its Visual Expression within the Cultural Landscape of Wales.
- Director of the British Academy funded project, Text and Image: Towards an Interdisciplinary Methodology.
- Co-chair of The Bible and Visual Culture Section of the International Society of Biblical Literature.
- Co-chair of the The Bible and Visual Culture Section of the European Association of Biblical Studies.
- Editor of Scripture Bulletin, the journal of the Catholic Biblical Association of Great Britain
Interdisciplinary approaches to the Hebrew Bible, particularly those relating to the visual arts. Postcolonial approaches to the Hebrew Bible. Organisation of student study trips to Jerusalem.
Areas of Research
- Hebrew Bible.
- Bible and the Arts
- Biblical Art from Wales (Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2010)
- An Introduction to Biblical Art (London: SPCK, 2007)
- Painting the Text: The Artist as Biblical Interpreter (Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2006).
- The Biblical Elijah and his Visual Afterlives’, in J. Cheryl Exum and Ela Nutu (eds.), The Bible and Art (Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2006).
Contemporary Approaches to the Hebrew Bible’, in Patricia Kieran (ed.), Conversing with Catholicism (Dublin: Veritas, 2006).
‘Elijah in the Carmelite Visual Tradition’, in Misha Caspi (ed.), The Prophet Elijah in the Three Monotheistic Traditions (2006).
- ‘The Artist as Reader of the Bible’, Biblical Interpretation, 13.4 (2005), pp. 337-373.
- ‘Concealment and Disclosure: Metaphor in Isaiah 28-32’, Revue Biblique (2006).
- ‘Isaiah 53: Picturing ‘The Man of Sorrows’, Religion and The Arts 9.2 (2005) pp. 62-101.
- ‘The Flight into Egypt’, in Martin O’Kane (ed.), Borders, Boundaries and the Bible
- ‘Genesis 27: Isaac Blessing Jacob. Literary and Artistic Interpretations’, ScriptureBulletin, 30 (2001), pp. 3-24.
- ‘King David’, in J. Cheryl Exum (ed.), Beyond the Biblical Horizon, Leiden: Brill, 1999.
- ‘The Biblical King David and his Literary and Artistic Afterlives,’ Biblical Interpretation 6 (1998), pp. 314-347
- ‘Isaiah: A Prophet in the Footsteps of Moses”, Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 69 (1996), pp. 29-51.
- Journal for the Study of the Old Testament Supplement Series 313, Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press/Continuum, 2002, pp. 15-60.
For my project website see www.imagingthebible.org